Shaoyu Ge received his Ph.D. in Neurobiology/Biophysics from the University of Science and Technology in China in 2002. After postdoctoral fellowships at Baylor College of Medicine and Johns Hopkins University, he joined the faculty of Stony Brook University where he is currently Assistant Professor of Neurobiology & Behavior.
New neurons are continuously generated in the adult brain. Some fundamental questions on adult neurogenesis remain largely unknown. Therefore, a better understanding of the developmental processes for new neurons is of great importance. These studies will also establish a window through which we can see the ‘developmental processes’ in the adult neural circuits. Furthermore, the results may pave the way for cell-replacement therapy although there is still a long way to go.
The goal of my lab is to examine the generation, integration and function of new neurons. We use molecular, cellular, in vitro / in vivo imaging, physiological and behavioral approaches to study where, when and how these new neurons integrate into the existing adult circuitry. Other than the mechanisms of integration, understanding the physiological function of these integrating/integrated neurons in the brain is another goal of the lab.
- Yan Gu, Maithe Arruda-Carvalho, Jia Wang, Stephen Janoschka, Sheena Josselyn, Paul Frankland and Ge S. Optical controlling reveals time-dependent roles for adult-born dentate granule cells. Nat Neurosci. (2012).
- Kumamoto N, Gu Y, Wang J, Janoschka J, Takemaru K, Levine J, Ge S. A role for primary cilia in glutamatergic synaptic integration of adult-born neurons. Nat Neurosci 15(3):399-405. (2012).
- Song J, Zhong C, Bonaguidi MA, Sun GJ, Hsu D, Gu Y, Meletis K, Huang ZJ, Ge S, Enikolopov G, Deisseroth K, Luscher B, Christian KM, Ming GL, Song H. Neuronal circuitry mechanism regulating adult quiescent neural stem-cell fate decision. Nature. doi: 10.1038/nature11306. (2012)
- Li Y, Lu H, Cheng PL, Ge S, Xu H, Shi SH, Dan Y. Clonally related visual cortical neurons show similar stimulus feature selectivity. Nature. 486(7401):118-21. (2012)
- Duan X, Chang JH, Ge S, Faulkner RL, Kim JY, Kitabatake Y, Liu XB, Yang CH, Jordan JD, Ma DK, Liu CY, Ganesan S, Cheng HJ, Ming GL, Lu B, and Song H. DISC1 dominates the development of newly generated neurons in the adult brain. Cell 30(6):1146-58. (2007)
- Ge S, Yang CH, Hsu KS, Ming GL. and Song H. A critical period of synaptic plasticity in the newly generated neurons of the adult brain. Neuron 54(4):559-566. (2007)
- Ge S, Goh EL, Sailor K, Kitabatake Y, Ming GL, Song H. GABA regulates synaptic integration of newly generated neurons in the adult brain. Nature 439(7076): 589-93. (2006)
- Ge S and Dani JA. Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors at glutamate synapses facilitate long-term depression or potentiation. J Neurosci. 25(26): 6084-691. (2005)
Pubmed Linked Publications
- Yan Gu, Postdoctoral Associate
- Jia Wang, Postdoctoral Associate
- Stephen Janoschka, Graduate Student
- Soyoung Rhee, Graduate Student
- Natsuko Kumamoto, Postdoctoral Fellow at SBU, now faculty member at Osaka University